I love this little pastoral piece of art!
I love this little pastoral piece of art!
This is a super posh hotel, so the theatricality is to be expected. And what stunning theatricality it is, in a kind of ‘walk on water’ sort of way.
In overall form it’s not all that dissimilar from Louis Kahn’s Salk Institute, with a row of angular forms creating an axis, highlighted by a water feature, and open to the sea. Though certainly heightened here by making the entirety of the axis the water feature, and the forms all that more bold (and, at night, colourful!) Plus the addition of a bird’s nest…
A neat mix of architecture creating spatial art. I dig it.
Viceroy Los Cabos (formerly Mar Adentro) by Miguel Angel Aragonés
Fascinating and beautiful? Sign me up! Check out this bit about Penrose tiles:
And then make your own (and save out the resulting image!) here: https://aatishb.com/patterncollider/
I heard this interview on NPR recently about a new book that compares Charles Dickens and Prince (the musician). Which on its face does seem quite odd… but the main tie that the author makes in the interview is regarding their prodigious creative output, for both were art production powerhouses. And they were able to be so because neither were perfectionists. In that kind of “Don’t let perfect be the enemy of good” kind of way, they were so excited to explore and create more that they wanted to finish what they started and move on.
Which, interestingly, also turns out to be a brilliant way to get even better at creating.
Hank Green mentioned once his 80% Rule (which to be clear is very different from the usual and oft quoted 80/20 rule aka the Pareto Principle). His idea was, when creating works, to pull hard on them until they reach about 80% of how good you think they can be. Then declare them complete and move onto the next one.
The beauty of this lies within another oft quoted truism: The first 90% of the work takes 90% of the time, and the last 10% of the work takes the other 90% of the time. To which I bet many of us have experienced this firsthand… to get something “perfect” ends up taking a huge amount of time.
We may well have produced two, three, or even four works within that same amount of time. And the kicker is that our growth, our development in our self-expression as an artist, is more dependent on completed works and wrangling things to that 80% level than what we might learn in getting it “perfect.”
So, by being mindful of our perfectionist tendencies and instead aiming ourselves towards the 80% rule, we complete much more work that not only is amazing in its own right (able to touch, move, excite, and inspire others as well as be fulfilling and self-actualizing), but as we complete these works our skill grows and grows, such that soon our 80% is of higher quality than our “perfect” would be if we made each work “perfect.” Which is pretty darn cool.
* I have also used this in my preparations for running RPG games, prepping things to 80% of the level of quality and intricacy that I think they could be and moving on, leaving me mentally fresher and more flexible when running the game, both of which tend to actually make for a better session than if I’d been “perfect!”
A fun little folly tonight, in the form of the Smile. A temporary pavilion at the London Design Festival back in 2016. Made of cross-laminated wood as a double cantilever structure, it seems to rest, precariously balanced, in the middle of the courtyard. As a folly it’s akin mostly to spatial art, inhabited purely for the experience and joy it brings.
“I’m better as a performer and director when I have other people with whom I can collaborate. Some call that weakness. That’s B.S. I don’t collaborate out of weakness. I collaborate out of strength. Why wouldn’t I want to hear the opinions of talented people around me?”
— Frank Oz
As an architect (and someone who enjoys spaceships) I am obligated by the universe to love this sketch derived from binder clips:
Oh. My. This carving is AMAZING!
Congratulations to my father, who was today announced as one of @heritage_crafts finalists for Woodworker of the Ye… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…—
Callum G Robinson (@CallumGRobinson) September 27, 2022